Thursday, June 18, 2009

D.C. Day 2

Day 2: We woke up early and ate yummy breakfast. Seriously Embassy Suites has the bombest breakfast. They actually make omlets right there with whatever you want! After breakfast we headed off to our own private tour of the Smithsonian Museum. My dad had some hookups so we were able to go an hour earlier than it opened! It was awesome. I did not realize just how lucky we were until the museum actually opened and thousands of people were piling in. It would have been impossible to hear or see anything.

The first part of the museum and one of the only places that we could take pictures was the automobile section. I honestly thought I was taking a lot of pictures but after looking through my camera I realized I hardly took any. But I did make sure to get one with my friend Phil. We were just laughing and talking while we were waiting for the train. He's got some good stories.

Standing on a real piece of road from the U.S. Route 66.

Justin used to be a tour guide for the Grand Canyon. He would take tourists from Las Vegas to Kingman then on to the Grand Canyon. If you look at the map that is no easy drive. He said it was about a 15 hour day for him. Pretty crazy huh? The craziest part is that he was speaking Japanese the whole time! This was his first job he got as a returned missionary from Japan.

This is how we got around town... the metro! I love these things.

After the Smithsonian we went to eat at The Press Club. This is where they hold press conferences. It was very classy. Because of the our large party, we were in our own room and had our own menus. The menu comprised of mini crab cakes with the most delicious corn salsa, a mixed green salad, and tomato gazpacho for appetizers; for entrees swordfish with pineapple salsa, avocado lobster salad with coconut dressing, and steak with blue cheese butter; and the best part of all dessert- strawberry tiramisu, apple tarts, panna cotta, and ice cream. It was delicious! I will have to get a picture to insert later on.

We then went on a tour of the Library of Congress. It was a beautiful building. One of my favorites. Of course we couldn't take pictures of my favorite room because we might distract the people doing research.

Waiting outside of the Library of Congress.

One of my favorite places that we ate at all weekend.... Bens Chili Bowl! If you go to D.C. you gots to go.

I think our faces are hilarious in this picture. I am not quite sure how to eat this and Justin I don't know what he is doing but it is funny! We ate chili cheese hot dogs, chili sausage dogs, chili cheese fries, cheese fries, and shakes.

I later found drippings of chesse down my shirt. My brother had it worse though. He had chili drippings down the backside of his pant leg. Don't ask me how it got there but it looked bad!

After dinner we went to a show called Capital Steps. It is a political comedic show. It was hilarious. They do things like change the lyrics to songs like mamma mia to obama mia. These people were talented. They did awesome impressions and accents. My favorite part was this dialogue that one guy did for about 7 minutes straight. He would mix the first letter in a word with another word in the sentence. I don't know if that makes sense but he said Mitt Romney lost the election because he was a "card more hormon." And he warned us trying to talk like that because we might "fart to stink that way!"

After a long day we went back to the hotel room to the power being turned off. This was not my favorite part of the trip. It was not fun trying to get ready for bed in the dark. They did give us a super tiny flashlight but its hard to try to brush your teeth and hold a flashlight. So I grab the travel sized toothpaste, put it on my toothbrush in the dark and started brushing..... with shaving cream!!!! not a good way to end the day..... yuck

4 comments:

Kipp and Gelsey said...

Ha ha ha! The shaving cream story is too funny! Yuck! That is awesome that you guys got a private tour of the Smithsonian... again, jealous! Embasy Suites really does have the best breakfast... that is why Kipp and I kept trying to get you and Justin to come eat with us! The meal at The Press Club sounds AMAZING, and don't you know that you can't wear a white shirt when eating chili (or tomato sauce)? :) You will spill for sure!

Emily said...

I'm SO jealous of this trip!! Can't wait to hear and see more!

Mark and Heather said...

That sounds like such a fun trip! I bet it wasn't funny at the time, but I just gotta say that the shaving cream story was hilarious!!

Cameron and Wendy said...

That looks like such a fun day! Lots of fun sights, lots of good food...what more could you ask for?? The shaving cream thing is hilarious...I bet that tasted pretty gross! Your pictures are all so cute! It is fun to see some pictures of you and Justin!