Thursday, April 16, 2009

Let the Games Begin!

I love to read. The library is two minutes from our house and we go there a lot. I love it, Justin hates it. The problem is I do kind of ignore him when I read. Sorry can't be bug while I am reading. So my friend told me about this book called The Hunger Games. I don't know if you have heard or read this book, but I thought it was really good. When I first heard about it I was not quite sure if I wanted to read it. Its about an annual game this nation has every year where two kids from each district have to fight till the death until only one is standing. If that was not bad enough, the capitol tapes it and makes the districts watch it on t.v. I know it sounds gruesome that is why I was not sure if I wanted to read it. I had to think of it as a book and make sure I didn't imagine it as something that our country would ever consider doing.

One thing I like about it is that even though its about killing she didn't focus on making the killing gruesome. I thought it was interesting and it made me think because at the front of the book where they describe what the book is about it says, "..set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present." This made me think what made this author write this book. Is she against war? Something I thought of while I was reading this book was about how gangs these days video tape the horrible things they do and post them on the internet. They want to send a message to everyone of what they are capable of doing. What is this world coming to? I am so scared for the things Ruthie will have to face. I am interested to know what others thought of this book. Has anyone else read it? What did you think? And now that I am finished with this book I need another one to read. Any suggestions? What are some of your favorites?



1 comment:

Chels Allred said...

This has totally intrigued me! I love to read too!! I try to read 2 books atleast a month! I'm seriously going to the store tonight to pick it up. Sounds very interesting!